Engineering Service, Inc.
World-renowned pro audio equipment maker Sound Devices released firmware upgrade v1.20 for their brand new line of compact audio recorders – the MixPre Series. The two models – MixPre-6 and MixPre-3 feature integrated USB audio interface, high performance Kashmir pre-amps, and overall the recorders have been designed specifically for indie video productions. New firmware v1.20, which adds 4-channel linking on the MixPre-6 and an “input delay” feature to the MixPre-3 (this feature has already been made available on the bigger MixPre-6).
New Features in Firmware v1.20 (MixPre-6 only!)
The MixPre-6 now offers 4-channel linking. (This feature is only available on the MixPre-6.)
To link channels 1-4:
- Ensure System > Mode is set to Advanced, or if using Custom mode, that Channel is set to Advanced.
- Push the channel 1 knob to access that Channel screen.
- On page 3, tap Linking and select 1-4.
When channels 1-4 are linked, gain, fader, limiters, track arming, low cut filters, and input delay are all linked and controlled from Channel 1 screen and knob.
Input Delay, a feature already available on the MixPre-6, is now supported on the MixPre-3. Available on channels 1-3, adjustable from 0 to 30 ms in 1 ms increments.
- In this firmware, the Linking feature was moved from Custom Setup > Gain > Advanced to Custom Setup > Channel > Advanced. This change now lets you link inputs while still having the option of one or two gain stages.
- Users wanting to link inputs, but control all levels from the front-panel channel 1 knob should set System > Mode to Custom and then in Custom Setup, set Gain to Basic and Channel to Advanced.
- Users wanting to link inputs with two gain stages while in Custom mode, ensure that Gain and Channel are both set to Advanced. Then, you can adjust gain levels for linked channels from the Channel 1 screen and adjust fader levels for linked channels with the Channel 1 knob.
Bug Fixes and other improvements:
- Corrected offset in timecode file stamps when using external LTC via the 3.5 mm Aux Input.
- Limiter Indicator would not properly show activity after unlinking input channels.
- Input delay for linked channels 1-2 incorrectly applied to linked channels 3-4 after power cycle.
- Gain not correctly applied to MS-linked line level inputs.
- Aux gain fader range display issues.
- Playback issue where isolated tracks were not routed correctly to outputs.
Head over Sound Devices to download firmware v1.20.
« To the list of news